About the Show
The Kinsey Institute Juried Art Show premiered in 2006 at the Kinsey Institute Gallery. For the first two years, the emphasis was on erotic art, but beginning in 2008, the parameters of the competition were expanded to include artworks addressing gender issues, sexuality, reproduction, sexual politics, romantic relationships, and the human figure. In 2009, the exhibition, having outgrown the space available in Morrison Hall, was moved to the Indiana University School of Fine Arts Gallery (now known as the Grunwald Gallery of Art).
Artworks from previous juried shows may be viewed by following the links below:
This video of the 2012 opening night reception features interviews with several artists about their works in the show. Running length: 10:47.
- Louise LippincottCurator of Fine Arts at Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh
- Betsy StirrattDirector of the Grunwald Gallery of Art at Indiana University
- Catherine Johnson-RoehrCurator of Art, Artifacts and Photographs at The Kinsey Institute
All works selected by the jurors will be included in The Kinsey Institute Juried Art Show 2012 at the Grunwald Gallery of Art, May 18 to July 21, and included in a virtual version of the exhibit on The Kinsey Institute website. An opening reception will take place at the Grunwald Gallery of Art on May 18. A cash prize of $300 will be awarded to the artist whose work is voted “Best in Show”. A $200 prize will be awarded to the work voted “Gallery Visitors’ Choice” on the night of the opening reception.
The Kinsey Institute would like to thank the following individuals for their invaluable assistance with the 2012 juried art competition and exhibition:
- S. Shyu, web designer
- Rachel Weaver, video technician
- Paige Dufour, graphic designer
- Garry Milius, exhibition coordinator
- Jeremy Sweet and other staff members of the Grunwald Gallery
Thanks also to the Visitors Center of Bloomington for generously supporting this year's exhibition.